Welcome to Fall 2013! A few new things are going on at the Center. First of all, the director’s position has been restored to full-time, so there is cause for celebration in that regard! Thanks so much to Elaine Smyth, Interim Dean of LSU Libraries, for making this happen. Other things are on the horizon, including an updated look to our blog, so feast your eyes! In Center staffing news:
- Kyle Tanglao joins the Center this month as the Audio Engineer in Oral History. A native of Florida, he comes to us from Florida State University, where he worked at the FSU Strozier Library as the Technology Peer Supervisor. Kyle is responsible for, among other things, the blog’s new look, which he insists is a work in progress, but frankly, I’m over the moon with the look and function, so far.
- Wyatt Winnie joins the Center’s staff this month as a Graduate Assistant, thanks to funding from the College of Agriculture. Wyatt, who is earning his MLIS, will be working from September 2013 through August 2014 on an oral history project that is part of a larger cooperative exhibition commemorating the Centennial of the Smith-Lever Act of 1914 (Fall 2014).
- In August, Emily Nemens, author of the previous post, became the coeditor and prose editor at The Southern Review. During her summer as a Graduate Assistant at the Center, she fully processed the entire Bayou Lafourche Oral History collection—creating finding aids that are ready to be cataloged, thus making the collection available to researchers. Emily also conducted an oral history interview with Bud Johnson for the University History Athletic Series. This interview will be featured in an upcoming exhibit.
- Billy Mitchell joined the Center as a Student Assistant this past summer and has been working to process the 1927 Flood Collection. Billy is majoring in English and will be graduating this Fall. Billy has also been key in researching and preparing for an upcoming exhibit.
Since June, the entire staff of the Center has been diligently working along side Special Collections staff from Exhibitions, University Archives and Digital Services. “Saturday Night in Tiger Stadium” is a Lecture Hall exhibit that will open September 20th and run through December 21, 2013. It celebrates 120 years of LSU Tigers football and the 25th anniversary of the LSU – Auburn “Earthquake Game” in 1988. Documenting twelve decades of LSU Football, “Saturday Night in Tiger Stadium” highlights a sampling of LSU Football treasures from the University Archives, the Louisiana and Lower Mississippi Valley Collections, and the T. Harry Williams Center for Oral History, all housed in LSU Libraries Special Collections. One of the exciting features of this exhibit is the permanent addition of an interactive touchscreen listening station, funded by the Williams Center Endowment. Stay tuned for more to come on this exhibit in the very near future!